The Health & Human Services Secretariat (HHSS) was established by the Presidential Order No. 1 of 2004 as a self-accounting Mandate Secretariat under the Federal Capital Territory Administration with the responsibility of overseeing the health sector of FCT in all its ramifications.
The Secretariat has the following basic functions:
- Provision of medical and hospital services.
- Health policy formulation and planning
- Regulatory and oversight functions for all private medical service providers.
- Provision of primary health care, disease control and health promotion.
- Health manpower development.
The Secretariat is headed by the Secretary with the following departments and units:
- Hospitals Management Board:
- Abuja Central Medical Stores:
- FCT Emergency Medical Services (EMS):
- Procurement & Due Process division:
- FCT Health (insurance) Services Scheme [FHSS]
- FCT Agency for Control of Aids (FACA)
- Works Division
- Private Health Establishment, Monitoring & Registration Committee (PHERMC)
- Department of Administration and Finance
- Department of Nursing Services
Department of Pharmaceutical Services
- Department of Medical and Diagnostics
- Department of Health Planning, Research and Statistics (HPRS)
- Department of Public Health