The Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB) was established by AEPB Act No. 10 of 1997. The Board is the Regulatory Body statutorily charged with the responsibility for the protection and management of the FCT Environment.
- To secure a clean and healthy environment for the wellbeing of FCT residents.
- To conserve the environment and its natural resources for the benefit of present and future FCT generations.
- To minimize the impact of physical development on the ecosystem of the country’s new Federal Capital Territory (sustainable development).
- To raise public awareness and promote understanding of essential linkages between environment and development.
AEPB is administered by a governing board chaired by the representative of the FCT Minister and 15 other members including the Director/chief executive officer who implements the policies of the governing Board in line with the organization’s objectives with his management team.
There are 7 core operational, 2 support Departments and 4 critical units that carry out the Board’s day-to-day activities these are;
- Solid Waste Management
- Liquid Waste Management
- Environmental Monitoring
- Planning, Research and Statistics
- Environmental Conservation
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Monitoring and Enforcement.
- The support Departments are:
- Administration/ Supplies
- Finance/ Account.
While the critical Units are:
- Internal Audit
- Information and Outreach Programme