- Providing a nurturing environment, protecting rights, and advocacy for women, children and other vulnerable groups in the territory.
- Overseeing important social imperatives and poverty alleviation programs for vulnerable and disadvantaged groups and communities.
- Promoting Arts, Culture and Sports activities within the territory as well as such other functions as are incidental to the furtherance of these objectives.
The Secretariat is headed by the Secretary with 6 departments, divisions and complementary units viz:
- A) Office of the Secretary
- HIV/AIDS Unit
- Legal Service Unit
iii. Audit Unit
- Media/Information Unit
- Planning, Research & Statistics
The Secretary Social Development Secretariat also acts as:
– Chairman of the Abuja Enterprise Agency
– Chairman NYSC, FCT Chapter
- B) Departments
- Gender Development
- Social Welfare Services
iii. Arts & Culture
- Administration & Finance
- Tourism Development
vii. Youth Development