The Council was created in 2005 as a critical Organization to address specifically, in accordance with the FCT Act, efficient running and operation and maintenance of infrastructures and provide Municipal services across FCT.
- To initiate and formulate policies that would guarantee efficient service delivery by its Constituents Department.
- To oversees and co-ordinates the activities of all Department under its authority.
- To ensure proper maintenance and management of the city’s infrastructural facilities, utilities & services in a sustainable and cost effective manner.
- To cooperate and encourage interaction between similar organization and Agencies responsible for City Management at local & international levels.
- To bring and advise the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) from time to time on matters relating to City Management.
The Coordinator is the Chief Executive of the Council and reports directly to the Honourable Minister, Federal Capital Territory. All other Departments/Board of the Council report directly to the Coordinator in order to accord the Coordinator a mechanism through which he can assert the coordinating, supervisory and monitory, mandate impose on the office. The Council is made up of:
Units under the Coordinator’s Office which are as follows:
- Legal Unit
- Public Relation Unit
- Audit Unit
- Special Duties Unit
- Procurement/Tender Unit
Abuja Metropolitan Management Council has Five Departments namely:
- Admin & Finance (A&F)
- Department of Development Control (DoDC)
iii. Facilities Maintenance & Management (FMM)
- Parks & Recreation Department (P&R)
- FCT Emergency Management Department (FEMD)